INTERCASTE MARRIAGE: A POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO ERADICATE CASTE SYSTEM
Caste system has been a rigid part of Indian customs since ages. It is an evil that has made the rules and regulations of the Hindu tradition biased and unfair. Discrimination based on the caste system has ruined the society and created differences among the people belonging to different castes. Marriage is a sacred institution especially in context of Indian customs. Even when the world has become so advanced there are people who follow strict caste rules. Marriages in the Hindu society are caste driven; inter-caste marriages are considered to be a sin and are not approved by the elders.
There are basically 3 pillars which can be very handy to eradicate this caste based system from our society. 1. Parent 2.Teacher and 3.Relatives.
But unfortunately none of them is contributing to eliminate this evil system from our society. It has been over 65+ years India got independence and reservation has been implemented to reduce this gap. But nothing has changed in these 65 years as caste system is holding same position in our society as it was before independence. Despite stringent punishment there is hardly any change in people thinking.
Doesn’t matter how much technology has become advanced or people have become western in their style or standard of living? Their thinking is like that they want to drive a car (life) by looking back side mirror (Caste system). It seems that there is hardly any solution of this problem. Inter caste marriage could be a possible solution in this matter.
Why inter-caste marriages are rejected in India?
There are various reasons because of which elders in the Hindu society flinch away from inter-caste marriages like:
- They fear of the societal norms and social standing.
- Loss of reputation.
- The cultural difference- they believe that the couple will not be able to settle down and religiously follow each other’s culture.
- They believe that the children born out of the inter-caste marriage will not be perfect.
- Torture that the family and the couple have to face at the hands of the society.
The ill-effects of not approving the inter-caste marriages
- Hampering the growth of the society.
- Create fissures among different social groups and castes.
- Poses a threat to the national integrity.
- Various love couples either end their life or are killed.
Steps that have been already taken to encourage inter-caste marriages
- Government of India has made different laws to encourage inter-caste marriages.
- Social activists and groups are actively contributing to the create awareness among the people of the hazards of not accepting the inter-caste-marriages.
- Movies, plays, street plays, demonstrations, etc. have been used to demonstrate that inter-caste marriages should be allowed.
Even after so much is done to curb this system yet it remains a social taboo. People of all castes have to stand together and fight this evil. This write up is an effort to make you aware of the problems that are caused when inter-caste marriages are not accepted and is also an attempt to give suggestions to tackle them.
God never created any caste and religion. Even God did not have any caste. God only created human being. He didn’t put any human in high and low category
But their thinking is so narrowing minded. Now it does depend on human what they want to become Devil or Angel. Nobody is lower and higher by caste or religion. They become high and low by their behavior (karma).
As kabir truly said…
Jaati na pucho sadhu ki,puch lijiye gyan
mole karo talvar ka,pada renan do myan…
Article Written by : Ashwani Kr(Mandi)